Welcome to my tales of cookery school, food and travel

The first 30+ posts of this blog describe my experiences as I complete a nine month cooking course - the City and Guilds Diploma in Food Preparation and Culinary Art. I did this after I moved out of full time employment and it was purely selfish - I love food, cooking, eating and drinking. Subsequent posts are about, food, travel and adventures.

Friday 2 June 2017

So long, Frank Lloyd Wright

 

We just had a few days staying with friends in the home of the cheeseheads. Yes, that's what people in Wisconsin are proud to call themselves.  So proud, they wear foam wedges of cheese on their heads.  Who are we to judge?
The h-g discovering his inner cheesehead

 

 

Aside from spending time with old friends, one of the highlights of the stay is a trip out west of Milwaukee to Taliesin, the home, studio and school of Frank Lloyd Wright.  We'd been to his Oak Park home in Chicago a few years ago so it was a real treat to visit Taliesin, his primary home from 1911 to 1959, which Frank viewed as a work in progress.  So he had no compunction about changing or adding aspects of the property.  

 

I'm a bit of a fan of the Prairie style architecture so I loved the buildings which represent several decades of his design style, but through which themes are constant:  a low ceiling in the entrance to move you through to where you were meant to be in the space;  open plan spaces;  integration of the landscape; recessed or indirect lighting.  

 

Every room looks out to the river

 

 

An example of the low ceiling concept

 

High windows on the non view side

And I really want one of these lamps.

 

Indirect light extends to the design of the lamps

So, now I have to get to Fallingwater, Frank Lloyd Wright's so called comeback design, in rural Pennsylvania.  Another trip, another time!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment