Welcome to my tales of cookery school, food and travel

The first 30+ posts of this blog describe my experiences as I complete a nine month cooking course - the City and Guilds Diploma in Food Preparation and Culinary Art. I did this after I moved out of full time employment and it was purely selfish - I love food, cooking, eating and drinking. Subsequent posts are about, food, travel and adventures.

Friday 29 March 2013

Progress on the 7 day juice fast: halfway

So far, so juicy.  I haven't yet fought the cats off to gobble their biscuits or woken at midnight to consume the contents of the fridge - which is full of fruit and veg anyway.

Day 2:  I wake with a thumping heart, feeling a bit light headed - but that is because the h-g has positioned the banger (bird scarer) virtually outside the bedroom window.  Waking to the what seems to herald the opening shots of a small war does tend to make your heart beat faster. 

It is close to grape harvest and bird peck on the fruit is a problem. The bird scarer is a gas gun and it explodes at random times during the day.  It is loud.  I'm not sure about the birds, but it certainly activates my fight or flight response. The h-g will arrive home to find me dead of a heart attack induced by excess adrenaline.

8.00am:  First juice today is a rockmelon, blueberry and raspberry with a bit of apple. I pureed in half an avocado which made the colour much less attractive but the juice very smooth and delicious.  The general wisdom is to puree bananas and avocados and add later rather than trying to juice them.  Also, at this point I decide I will eat blueberries and raspberries  rather than juice them as I have gone to all the trouble of growing them and it feels like sacrilege to put them through the juicer for such a meagre result.  This is unlikely to be a problem though as the season is pretty much shot and our plants are on their last fruiting legs.

11.00am   I slam down an apple, lemonade (our oranges won't be ripe for a while, but the lemonades seem to go all year) and celery juice - delicious! 

1.30pm:  STARVING!  I stop whining, dry my tears and drink a can of harden up.  Or in reality
Joe's mean green juice
Joe's Mean Green Juice.  Kale (luckily I am growing Tuscan Kale, aka Cavolo Nero), cucumber, celery, apple, ginger and 1/2 lemon, though I use a lime that's what we've got. Yum, but be careful how much ginger you use.


I do feel a bit tired, but it is likely that is just me readjusting back to NZ time. 

7.00pm: Another green juice, this time spinach, zucchini (I knew I'd find another use for them) yellow capsicum, broccoli, cucumber, lime, ginger.  Tastes fine, but as anticipated, I'm getting bored.

Tonight I get everything ready for a morning juicing marathon as I have to be at work by 8.00am.  I have had a bit of a headache all day, so I am not sure what that's about.

Day 3:  A day in the kitchen helping cater for the Omaka Classic Fighters, an biannual air-show that runs over Easter and attracts thousands, is easier than I thought.  Although the aromas of all manner of savoury dishes and baking permeate the air, I manage to hold fast (no pun).  Having juiced up the night before helped.   My fellow chefs don't quiz me about the whys and wherefores of my strange regime so mercifully there is no need to go through the whole reboot story. 

Best juice so far - watermelon  pineapple and ginger.  It is tempting to overdo the fruit based juices as they are so much nicer, but of course the micronutrients in the green vegetables are important.  Adding ginger and lemon helps.  The rule of thumb seems to be about three quarters vegetables and one quarter fruit.

Feel okay, but still have a wee bit of a headache and am tired - but that might just be nine hours on my feet in a hot kitchen!

Day 4:  Wake up ready to toss the towel in - or eat it - hungry! Make myself a watermelon, ginger and pineapple juice and blend in a banana and it tastes goooood.  Make my brother an espresso and really want to drink one myself, it smells so gooooood.

Have been reading the forum on the rebootwithjoe website and it seems common to feel headachy and a bit nauseous, certainly in the first few days as the body detoxes from (or craves for more likely) all the good stuff we generally enjoy.  I had thought after a week at the Golden Door that I would be past this, but I must be more toxic than I thought!  Apparently it gets better after about day five, but I may not last that long.

So at the half way mark - it is now lunchtime - 10 hour day at work tomorrow.  Pray that my resolve holds. 










No comments:

Post a Comment